Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Magik of Three

Many times I have gone back to the Wiccan Rede to understand the nuances of it; each time, I read something a little different, or maybe it is that I understand a little more deeply what some of it means to my journey as a Witch. The one segment of the Rede that has always seemed provocative and mysterious is line 23 where we read; "Less in thy own defense it be, always mind the Rule of Three".

Now let's just leave the first part of that line for another time as it in itself can create volumes of discussion, and look to the final segment, "always mind the Rule of Three." In my naivete, I have always considered this meant that if I put out into this world something bad or something good, that it's energy would return to me in threefold. Done, understood, and certainly a motivation to do your best to harm none in all ways.

Recently, I have acquired an interesting book written by A.J. Drew, "A Wiccan Bible" and I have to tell you, his perspective on many things is quite interesting, thought provoking and, speaks to my inner desire for knowledge and understanding. So regarding the Rule of Three, here is his perspective.

Three is a magikal number because it "unlocks the totality of that which we are,...the whole of our being is mind, body and soul. It uncovers our very essence". He then goes on to say that all that we do, including our thoughts, actions and words, affect the mind, body and soul, and that these aspects of humanity are entwined. He also suggests that causing harm to one of the three will bring harm to the other two. Alternately, two will benefit from uplifting the one.

Think about this; a very powerful statement and belief. I can certainly find much to think on regarding this revelation. But that will have to wait for another time; the canine and feline friends are acalling me.

Blessed Be

Syster Wyrd

No comments:

Post a Comment